Thursday, November 18, 2010

wine: St. Francis Claret

Once I played clarinet for a Christmas concert in 7th grade. The kicker is that I had no idea how to play it.  No idea. Nada.  No noise came out of my clarinet (which really is a blessing for all those poor souls at a 7th grade band concert.) Love you, mom and dad!

I taught myself the fingerings so it looked like I knew what I was doing, but in reality...No clue. Yep. Sorry Mr. Gardner, the truth comes out.   I tell you all of this because I picked this wine because that story always makes me laugh. And yes, I realize that Claret is not the same as Clarinet. But the good thing is that this claret was a winner.  Me and the clarinet = not a winner.

Also, do you remember that magical tour of aisle 3 that took me to the secret wine stash where there are red wine blends?  This was one of those bottles.  I think it's my favorite.  And I've figured out what makes a cheap red blend in the category of: "Ladies and Gentlemen, we have a bingo!" My very scientific research makes me realize that any red blend that has Syrah or Petite Syrah is to be avoided in my book.  This one though, you'll see, doesn't include any type of syrah grape.  And that, my friend, means I will be buying this wine again.

hypothesis. proven.
OK, there was no hypothesis, but I was just on the 7th grade kick and then visions of geometry were dancing in my head.

No comments: