Thursday, February 2, 2012

new recipe: Pork with Mushroom Sauce

[photo credit and recipe link]

The January 2012 issue of Cooking Light seemed to have a lot of real winners - meaning I tore out at least 10 recipes from the magazine.  Which kinda makes me think, I probably should have just kept them in the magazine rather than have a lot of torn pages sitting inside another cookbook.  But I know how I operate and sometimes I just won't go back and look through an entire magazine to get a recipe that looked good to me. 

I did a lot of tweaking to this recipe (see my notes at the bottom of the post as well as in parentheses in the ingredients list). It turned out to be a very good meal, definitely one that we will make again.  And because of that, I thought I'd share...


Pork with Mushroom Sauce
Ingredients
  • 1 (1-pound) pork tenderloin, trimmed (I used pork chops)
  • 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
  • 1 (8-ounce) package button mushrooms, thinly sliced
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar (I used rice wine vinegar)
  • 1 cup fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
  • 1/4 cup creme fraiche or sour cream
  • 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard (didn't use this, I'm not a fan)
  • 3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley (didn't use this either, I never seem to have fresh herbs around when I need them.)

Preparation

  1. Place a small roasting pan in oven. Preheat oven to 425°.
  2. Sprinkle pork evenly with 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to preheated pan, and swirl to coat. Add pork to pan. Roast at 425° for 20 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in the thickest portion of pork registers 145°, turning after 10 minutes. Remove pork from pan, and let stand for 10 minutes.
  3. Place roasting pan over medium-high heat. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add mushrooms; sauté 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic, and sauté 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in vinegar, and bring to a boil, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Cook 1 minute or until liquid almost evaporates, stirring occasionally. Stir in remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and broth; bring to a boil. Cook until liquid is reduced to 1/3 cup (about 7 minutes). Remove from heat, and stir in crème fraîche and mustard. Cut pork crosswise into slices. Place 3 ounces pork on each of 4 plates, and top each serving with about 2 1/2 tablespoons sauce. Garnish with parsley.
Note: Wine Match: Look to California for a wallet-friendly wine to pair with this recipe. Highlight the dish's meaty pork tenderloin and creamy, earthy mushrooms with a light, fruity red like The Naked Grape's Pinot Noir ($9). --Gretchen Roberts

No comments: