Monday, March 17, 2014

Éirinn go Brách



During the summer that I lived in Ireland, I thought it would be a great idea to teach myself gaelic. Little did I know how difficult it really is! There are letters in words that are silent and then there are letters that make sounds I would never associate with that make strange sounds...so I gave up.  

One word that I'll never forget is Slainte meaning Cheers! (I worked in a pub after all.  Full disclosure, I was really bad at bar tending, we only worked there a night or two, but in that time, I caught on mighty quick to the work Slainte.  I can also properly pour a Guinness - totally resume worthy, I know.)

But because it's St. Patty's day, I thought it was about time I picked up another irish saying...here's the one I found when I goggled "useful Irish (gaelic) phrases" :

My hovercraft is full of eels = Tá m'árthach foluaineach lán d'eascanna.

Yep, totally necessary. It actually comes from a Monty Python skit and you can find out how to translate my hovercraft is full of eels into many many languages, just in case you'll ever need it - here

Happy St. Patrick's day to you all! 

No comments: