Wednesday, December 1, 2010

wines from my favorite castle

If you were a fan of The Bachelor - Jake's season - you may remember the trip that Gia, Jake and Vienna took to the castle in Napa.  That castle, complete with sheep, chickens, goats, a drawbridge and a lot of wine is the Castello di Amorosa winery.  You may know that Mike and I are big fans of the Bachelor, the Bachelorette, and the Bachelor pad, and now our favorite wine to drink while watching scandalous reality television is the Castello di Amorosa. The picture above is their Cabernet.  This one is more of a special occasion wine (save this one for The Bachelor finale) as the price tag on this wine is $75, but boy oh boy, is it tasty!

You won't find Castello di Amorosa wines at your local liquor store, they don't sell them anywhere but at the winery.  We did have some wines shipped to Wisconsin for Mike's parents (which we enjoyed last week at Thanksgiving!) but they will ship wines so that you can enjoy them at home.  (Provided you don't live in one of those states that you can't ship wine.)

Fantasia was Mike's dad's favorite wine. (Proof is in the pudding with those pictures I showed you on Tuesday.)  This is a great wine for someone that doesn't like wine.  It's very sweet (think cherry 7up with a splash of wine) and because of that, I'll save my pennies and wait until I can enjoy the $75 cab.  This wine demonstrates the phrase "to each their own" really works for wine.  Whatever you fancy, you can find in a wine at Castello di Amorosa.

Castello's Sangiovese is the wine that Mike and I could drink every time we sit down to watch the weekly Bachelor episode. It is quite possibly the most fantastic weekday wine we've found in some time.  It's more pricey than our typical $10 or under bottle of wine, but it's really good.  If memory serves me correctly it's in the $25 - $35 range.  It's just such a smooth and wonderful wine.

And because we are on the topic of the Bachelor.  The next season returns in January with a repeat bachelor, Brad Womack. I'm not too sure about that. I might need more Sangiovese to get me excited about Brad.

No comments: