Wednesday, August 31, 2011

all time favorite

I have a favorite grape.  No, not to eat (although I am particular to a good crisp, sweet, red grape) but rather to drink.  I absolutely love the cabernet franc grape. It makes heavenly wine.  I love it.  I think it might have to be an early 2012 resolution to seek out every winery in Napa and Sonoma that make 100% cab franc wine.  So far, we've found Beringer's Cab Franc.   It is perhaps one of my most favorite bottles of wine ever.  It's like stepping into a cedar lined closet and licking the walls.  Yep, I said licking. 


This wine is fantastic.  It is woodsy, spicy and has a hint of blueberry.  (OK, so I got the woodsy and spicy part but I didn't capture that blueberry hint on my tongue.  I probably would have just said "berry".  And that, my friends is why we are always thankful that wine companies write something on the back label of the bottle.) I can't get enough of it. But at $50 per bottle, I do have to call it quits at some point. 
(just another reason to win
 the lottery)

One of our favorite things to do while in Napa, is to buy a bottle and sit outside of the Beringer home (also their reserve tasting room) and watch the world go by.  It almost feels as if time stands still while on the porch at Beringer. The grounds are serene and the wine is amazing. 

Also worth mentioning - this is a 2006 bottle.  2006 wasn't known for it's rock star harvest. 2007 on the other hand was a fantastic year in Napa.  I think I might need to go back and stock up on some of that 2007 Cab Franc when it's available.  Pretty sure it's going to blow my mind. 

No comments: