Wednesday, July 18, 2012

wine: Los Tesoros de Joaquin (Murrieta's Well)


We got this bottle of wine while wine tasting at Murietta's Well earlier this year.  We are hard pressed to pass up a purchase of a Cab Franc.  Big fans, people, we are big fans of Cabernet Franc.  If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times, my favorite grape of all the grapes is the Cab Franc.  (Actually I'm not sure if I've ever stack ranked my grapes, but if I were to, Cab Franc would be my #1.)  We learned a valuable lesson however on this bottle of Cab Franc.  It needs to be decanted - or just open the bottle, let it breathe, put in your stopper and come back to it in 24 hours.  This wine was good fantastic on day 2.  Not day 1, and not day 3... definitely drink the entire bottle on day 2. You won't regret it...well you might if you drink the entire bottle by yourself.  Grab a buddy and drink it on day 2, then you'll be good as gold.  We were so much more impressed with the flavors that came out on the second day.  It seemed so much more well rounded.  (I took piano lessons and played tennis to be well rounded...this wine just needed to be uncorked for a day...to each their own.) 

We enjoyed this bottle a lot while tasting at the winery.  And I think the reason why we liked it so much at the winery but then were disappointed when we opened it at home, is that we didn't realize how much this wine needed to air out.  I cannot even begin to tell you the difference it made from day 1 to day 2.  And the reason I cannot tell you is that I remember it being really good on day 2, however I didn't write any notes about it and now I have forgotten. Whoops.  Sorry about that. You would have thought I'd learn by now!

No comments: