Sunday, June 2, 2013

Things I should know how to make: one whole chicken




I've decided that this is the year to expand my cooking horizons. There are a few things that I have never made (they seemed scary) and I thought at 32 years old, I shouldn't be afraid to cook anything. 

Here's my list of scary recipes to conquer:
  • one whole chicken - done (see above), recipe to follow
  • brownies from scratch - done, not all that impressed.
  • cheesecake - done
  • Dutch apple pancake - this is one of those fancy breakfast for dinner recipes my mom always used to make, I felt like we should be eating with the Rockefellers on Dutch apple pancake night.
  • Lobster tails - this one is kind of cheating.  Because I've already made it twice, and it couldn't be simpler.  But again, it's one of those foods that I thought the only time I eat this is at a restaurant therefore it belongs on this list. 
  • Cooking a fish in salt (there must be a fancier name for this, I think I better get one of Julia Child's cookbooks from the library - this seems like something she would have made.)
That's all I can think of currently, but it's still early in the year, I have plenty of time to try (and occasionally fail) all sorts of "fancy" recipes.

One giant chicken was actually super easy.  I called my mom on this one to find out if I should be looking in the bird for anything unusual.  She said frankly, just stick your hand in there, if there's something there, pull it out.  Simple as that.  I did. It was empty. Phew.

Next I did just what the fine chefs on The Chew suggested - if you don't have a roasting pan, just prop your bird up on a bed of veggies. And I did (after I dirtied about 4 different dishes trying to find out which one was big enough for the veggies and the bird.)

About 2 hours later. I pulled out the bird in all its glory.  And I ate it. And I complemented myself 17 times.  

As it turns out "fancy" recipes in my head are not actually that hard.  

No comments: