Friday, August 26, 2011

arc de triomphe

The Arc de Triomphe was probably the most delightful surprise of our entire stay in Paris.  And it wasn't just because of these guys and their warm machine gun welcome.  They were nice enough to pose for me as we were walking up the steps to get to the Arc.  These men were part of a ceremony at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier which is located under the arch. 
There's something about an old man in a uniform that makes me want to sing "God bless America"...yes, i know he's french, but still it's the patriotism that exudes from his jacket full of  medals that makes me feel like marching and singing.
well that, and the fact that I am my mother's daughter.
 [the tomb of the unknown soldier]



 The 360 degree views were incredible. We also ran into a couple from San Francisco at the top.  We shared our love of the Giants, but we were pretty sure they weren't interested in talking to us further...this is why if you don't want to be talked to, you really shouldn't wear a San Francisco Giants World Series tshirt in Paris...
because, I will talk to you.   

No comments: