Friday, March 14, 2014

recipe: roasted green beans


{image

A few days ago I decided we were going to have pork chops in a mushroom cream sauce but I wanted to try a different side. Typically we do roasted asparagus, roasted cauliflower or some type of potato with pork chops (or any meat), but I feel like we've been having those sides way too often and I needed to branch out. I thought I had seen a Rachael Ray episode recently where she roasted green beans with tomatoes. This however must have been a figment of my imagination because no where can I find any inkling of a recipe like this - not on her website, not on my pinterest, not in my recipe books.

So I was about to give up and go grab some asparagus at the store.  And then...

I got an email from Pure Wow featuring their recipe of the day...roasted green beans. It was an eerily magical moment. I sort of thought I might be on Candid Camera.  So I pinned the recipe, drove to Target, picked up the few ingredients and made it for dinner.  Mike thought they were great.  But like any recipe, there are a few tweaks I'd make in the future which you'll find after the original recipe. Here's the original recipe from Pure Wow:

CRISPY GREEN BEANS:
Ingredients

1 pound fresh green beans, washed and trimmed
3 tablespoons olive oil
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
½ teaspoon paprika

Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 375°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, toss the green beans with the olive oil. Add the Parmesan, salt, pepper and paprika and toss well to coat.
3. Pour the green beans onto the baking sheet and bake until crisp, 10 to 15 minutes. Cool slightly before serving.

Read more: Crispy Green Beans | Recipes - PureWow
Sign Up For PureWow's Daily Email




Here are my suggestions:

Option 1:
1 lb of fresh green beans - or enough to feed however many people are eating dinner.
2 Tbsp of olive oil - or however much you need to coat the beans. 3 Tbsp seemed like too much.
1/2 c. parmesan cheese
1 t. salt
1 t. pepper
1/2 t. paprika - option. I think if I were omitting the parmesan and adding the garlic, I would omit the paprika and add some red pepper flakes instead.

Option 2:
1 lb of fresh green beans - or enough to feed however many people are eating dinner.
2 Tbsp of olive oil - or however much you need to coat the beans. 3 Tbsp seemed like too much.
garlic, 2-3 cloves, minced
1 t. salt
1 t. pepper
1 t. Red Pepper flakes (You know me, I like things hot, so I'd probably add more than that.)



No comments: